Reedplayernc and I are going to Washington DC this year for the 4th of July holiday. This will be our first vacation *inside* the USA since 2004, when we went to burningman. Usually we vacation in Mexico, and one time in Cuba.
We have a nice room booked at The Carlyle Suites near Dupont Circle. They have the expected in-room Internet connection, so we'll be able to stay in touch with my opera and upload our pics to flickr nearly as soon as we take them.
We really haven't planned a thing. Here's a tentative list:
- I think we will stop at the nearby Ikea store in Woodbridge, Virginia, to pick out a few furnishings.
- We want to hang out on the National Mall and see some of the famous sites there and nearby.
- Some Smithsonian is probably in order.
- Might go see the Holocaust Museum.
- We'll check out some of the gay stuff in and around Dupont Circle.
- I'd like to visit this cool looking cafe called Busboys and Poets, that also seems to be a hangout for the Nader Team.
- We'll be on the Mall for the fireworks and parade on the 4th.
What else should we do? Do you have any ideas? Anything at all, especially something offbeat or not readily thought of. Are there any specific pictures you want taken, ie. holding your name up on a card in front of the White House or something? 😀 Can't guarantee that one, but heck, who knows. That "President's" autograph? Nah, you don't want that. Gives me the shivers. :yuck:
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Even the obvious is OK. What should we do?